This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for further information.
Solo travel has recently risen in popularity, and for a good reason! Not planning your schedule around someone else’s desires or time gives you the ultimate freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want. Feel like sleeping in until noon? No problem! Want to hike at 5 a.m.? Go for it! Traveling alone opens up unlimited possibilities, and you often make new friends at hostels or different activities. So even though you’re alone, you are rarely lonely. This article contains solo travel quotes to inspire you!
This is not to say that traveling alone doesn’t come without its cons. Check out my article on the Disadvantages of Traveling Alone to learn how to overcome the most common obstacles you will face on a solo trip!
Is Traveling Alone Weird?
It is only weird if you make it weird! You may worry that it will be awkward, or people will think you do not have friends. The truth is, no one will bat an eye at a confident person going about their day. When was the last time you saw someone enjoying an activity on their own and thought negatively of them? Probably never! Instead, many people will be amazed at your confidence and find it inspiring. I have inspired many friends to enjoy their own solo trips after seeing what a blast I was having on mine!
The most significant gift you can give yourself is the opportunity to grow. Solo travel provides many growth opportunities, from building confidence to learning to love your company. Once you travel alone, you become unstoppable!
This list contains my absolute favorite solo travel quotes that inspire me to continue traveling alone. They will encourage your wanderlust and give you the courage to book your next solo trip. As a bonus, they can also be used as Instagram captions!
For more solo travel tips and inspiration, click here.
Solo Travel Quotes that Inspire Adventure
- “Adventure should be part of everyone’s life. It is the whole difference between being fully alive and just existing.” — Holly Morris
- “My spirit gets nourished in faraway places. Sometimes I wonder if it’s a biological need, perhaps a biological flaw, that compels me to seek the excitement and challenge that comes of being in a place where nobody knows me.” — Rita Golden Gelman
- “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain
- “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” — Henry Rollins
- “Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that — that’s what life is. You might be really good.” — Amy Poehler
- “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world.” — Freya Stark
Thought-Provoking Solo Travel Quotes
- “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you, and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” — Hannah Arendt
- “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts; it even breaks your heart. But that’s OK. The journey changes you; it should change you. “It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” — Anthony Bourdain
- “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” — Jacqueline Boone
- “If you are waiting for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime.” — Unknown
- “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond, and we cease to be alone.” — Wendell Berry
- “When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart because there’s no other way to preserve it.” — Shauna Niequist
- “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” — Caroline Myss
- “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” — Maya Angelou
- “Once you travel alone, you become unstoppable. Nothing can phase the person who lives life without letting the judgment of others guide them.”
Solo Travel Quotes to Inspire Women
- “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” — Angelina Jolie
- “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” — Ayn Rand
- “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” — Roman Payne
- “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” — Albert Einstein
- “Just watch, all of you men. I’ll show you what a woman can do…I’ll go across the country, I’ll race to the Moon… I’ll never look back.” — Edna Gardner Whyte
- “I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others.” — Amelia Earhart
Short Solo Travel Quotes
- “I am never happier than when I am alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” — Storm Jameson
- “If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone.” — Maxwell Maltz
- “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others, because only you can see it.” — Nitin Namdeo
- “I discovered that I prefer to collect experiences rather than things.” — Susan Moore
- “You do not travel if you are afraid of the unknown; you travel for the unknown, that reveals you with yourself.” — Ella Maillart
- “One of the great things about travel is you find out how many good, kind people there are.” — Edith Wharton
- “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life-changing experience of your life. Try it at least once.” – Unknown
- “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.” — Agnes Repplier
Solo Travel Quotes for Instagram Captions
- “A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.” — Isabelle Eberhardt
- “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” — John Mayer
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” — Sue Fitzmaurice
- “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” — Gael Attal
- “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” — Suzy Strutner
- “Travel opens your heart, broadens your mind, and fills your life with stories to tell.” — Paula Bendfeldt
- “To me, travel is more valuable than any stupid piece of bling money can buy.” — Raquel Cepeda
- “Table for one, food for two, please.” — Unknown
- “You don’t need magic to disappear; all you need is a destination and a great hostel” — Unknown
- “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” — Susan Sontag
Use these quotes as inspiration for your next solo trip! Need More tips and Inspiration? Check out the following: